- Two full Kampung Chicken Thighs – thoroughly clean. Portioned for three with other dishes. A whole chicken is fine, so long it can fit into ur Electric Rice Cooker. Strongly recommended tat U do not use normal everyday chicken.
- Herbals : Yuk Chuk (Solomon’s Seal), Kei Zi (Wolfberries), a couple of Red Dates (smashed) and Dong Quai bits (Angelica Sinensis) – wash and soak in Shaoxing wine. Wash everything and soak for abt 10-15 mins with warm water, just to get rid of any impurities.
- Fresh Herbs : A bunch of Scallion and Parsley. Sliced Giner and smashed Garlic.
- Lots of Kosher/Sea Salt (no table salt pls – The VianD choose to use Smoked Sea Salt flakes), coarsely smashed White Peppercorn (White Pepper is fine), Garlic Powder, Brown Sugar (normal Sugar is fine) and a tiny bit of 5-spice powder.
- A generous amount of Shaoxing wine and a dash of Sesame oil.
- ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice (no rocket scientific measurement here). Always taste your Seasoning !!!
Start by marinating the Chicken with all the Marinating Ingredients for at least couple of hrs (longer marinating means better flavors). Make sure U get the Marinate into the Chicken, use ur hand, rub them in good.
Lay all the Herbals and Fresh Ingredient at the bottom of the Rice Cooker; these will not only flavored the Chicken but also act as a cushion, preventing the Chicken from burning. Making sure that the Chicken is at room temperature, place them on top of Ingredients. Actually, placing the Chicken skin-side down should be better as it will get a little burned, giving U a more intense flavor. Pour in the rest of Marinate. Cover, ON the Cooker and let it does its magic – just like cooking rice. DO NOT uncover the lid, just let the cooker does it magic!
The normal average cooking time for rice is abt 35-mins. Just let it sit in the Cooker for another 15-mis under Warm mode. Gently remove the Chicken and U will be left the residual of dried-up Herbs, U don’t need tat. Let the Chicken sit for another 10-15 mins or so, just to let everything settle down and easier to handle. U can chop them up to desired size or u can serve as they are, using the tearing and pulling with ur hands traditional eating enthic..😋. Whichever way U choose, ur aromatic delicious tender succulent “Rice Cooker Hakka Baked Salted Chicken (客家盐焗鸡)” is ready to be served.