- A mixture of normal long-grain rice and Glutinous rice – soaked overnite with a dash of Sesame oil (this is optional but try it, the Sesame oil really does elevates the Porridge’s flavor).
- Lean Pork – thinly sliced. Marinate with Salt, Sugar, white Pepper, a touch of Sesame oil and Oyster sauce for at least a couple of hrs for better flavors.
- Tung Choy (Preserved Veggie) – washed. Smashed Ginger.
- Garnishing – Julienned Ginger and sliced Scallion and Parsley.
- Sugar, Salt, white Pepper a touch of Oyster sauce and Sesame oil. All to taste. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice (no rocket scientific measurement here). Always taste your Seasoning !!!
Start by boiling the Rice together with the Tung Choy and the smashed Ginger on high heat. Use double the amount of water U would normally cook rice – U can always add extra gradually along the way to achieve the desired consistency. Bring to boil and then simmer to the right consistency (preference) – abt 1 hr (depending on the heat). Stir occasionally to keep the bottom from burning.
When the Porridge is at the right consistency, stir in the marinated sliced Pork. Turn up the heat and bring to boil, then turn to simmer again, give a few minutes to allow the sliced Pork to cook through. U do not want overly cooked soft Pork, it should still process some bite to it.
Add all the Seasoning Ingredients and your pot of delicious wholesome “Sliced Pork Porridge/Congee (猪肉粥)” is ready. Garnish and serve piping hot.