- 1/2 kg of medium-size Prawns (20 pieces).
- With whiskers and the legs removed, devein and washed thoroughly.
- Lots of finely minced Garlic. Some finely minced Ginger, julienned Ginger and sliced Scallion.
- An Egg white. U can add more if U fancy but U really do not want the Prawns to stick to a plate of Egg custard. Do Not whisk or beat them vigorously, just lightly mix them with a tiny bit of water and a pinch of Salt.
- A mixture of Light Soy, Oyster Sauce, Sugar and a dash of Sesame oil, Shaoxing Wine and White Pepper. All to taste.
- ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice (no rocket scientific measurement here). Always taste your Seasoning !!!
Start by sautéing the 1/2 of the minced Garlic, with a considerable amount of oil till aromatic/Golden brown on medium/low heat. Mix the rest of finely minced Garlic, Ginger and Scallion together. Add the above Garlic/oil, mix well with a pinch of Salt. Set aside. The Garlic sauteing part is really optional, U can simply add the Garlic/Ginger mixture and steam together with the Prawns. But the crispy Garlic will add texture to ur dish plus the aromatics of the Garlic infused oil.
Boil a pot of water till bubbling hot. Gently lay the Prawns on a slightly deepen Plate. Pour the Egg white over. Sprinkle Ginger strips all over the top. Steam the Prawns for abt 5-8 mins – depending on the size of the Prawns and heat. DO NOT oversteam, overcooked Prawns will be rubbery! The Steamed Egg White will be drowned by the sweet essence juice of the Prawns produced from the steaming process. For presentation purpose, U can extract the juice out to review the Egg custard. But it would be a shame to waste the flavorful juice so The VanD left it intact. Ur choice.. 😉. The sauce on plain white rice really does taste absolutely delightful..😋.
Drizzle the Garlic/Ginger/Scallion mixture all over the top. Pour the Seasoning/Sauce over, garnish and viola, ur plate of delicately Garlic flavored delicious fresh natural sweetness “Steamed Garlic Prawns with Egg White” is ready to be served hot – IMMEDIATELY !!!