- Medium size Pomfret. Properly clean and marinate with Salt for a couple of hrs. Score the side of the fish for even steaming.
- Lots of finely julienned Ginger and some sliced Garlic. Sliced soaked Salted Veggies.
- Sour Plum – mashed with a little water. U can add more if U want a stronger flavor.
- Sliced Tomatoes and sliced semi-hard WhiteTofu.
- Smashed Ginger and Scallion (the white part – in abt 2-3 inches long).
- A mixture of Light Soy, Oyster Sauce, Sugar and a dash of Sesame oil, Shaoxing Wine and White Pepper. ** Note : Just dash/pinch of everything, if U prefer a stronger intensity of an ingredient flavor, simply add a little extra of that ingredient/spice (no rocket scientific measurement here). Always taste your Seasoning !!!
In a slightly deepen plate, start by arranging the Tofu in a layer. Follow by the sliced Tomatoes and sliced Garlic. Put the smashed Scallion and Ginger in the middle. Put the butterflied Pomfret on top over the smashed Scallion and Ginger. Sprinkle the julienned Ginger, Salted Veggie and Sour Plam all over the Fish.
Boil a pot of water till bubbling hot. Steam the Fish for abt 8-15 mins – depending on the size of the Fish and the heat. DO NOT oversteam, overcooked Fish will be tough! When the Fish is done, add the prepared sauce bit by bit – taste as U go along to preferred balance flavors. Garnish and ur plate of Sour, Sweet and Savory “Teochew Steamed Pomfret” is ready to be served HOT IMMEDIATELY!